City of Alverca
History and small description of this beautiful city
Alverca do Ribatejo is a city and former Portuguese parish in the municipality of Vila Franca de Xira, with an area of 17.89 km² and 31 070 inhabitants (2011). Its population density was 1,736.7 inhabitants / km².
It was linked to the parish of Sobralinho, forming the Union of Parishes of Alverca do Ribatejo and Sobralinho with headquarters in Alverca do Ribatejo.
It borders on the northeast with the parish of Sobralinho, on the northwest with Calhandriz, on the west with Bucelas (in the municipality of Loures), on the south with Vialonga and Forte da Casa and on the east with the Tagus river.
Its patron saint is São Pedro.
Alverca was the seat of an extinct medieval municipality in 1855. It belonged to the Chapels of D. Afonso IV. Although this is a municipality without a charter, there are three confirmation letters: that of D. Pedro I confirming the privileges of the municipality on August 24, 1357; the letter dated April 19, 1434, from D. Duarte, confirming the privileges and good customs and another one issued on April 23, 1439, where D. Afonso V confirms to the village of Alverca all privileges, thanks and mercy. The small municipality was formed by the parishes of Alverca, Sobralinho and Santa Iria de Azóia. It was elevated to city on August 9, 1990. It was the first town to be elevated to the category of city without being the seat of a municipality. Alverca is more populous than Vila Franca de Xira. Currently, the parish of Vila Franca de Xira is disputing the possession of the mouquão do Lombo do Tejo.
Alverca is called the “green city” (due to the high number of green spaces and tree-lined streets). It is a great crossing point for rail and car. The main attractions of the city are the Air Museum, the Municipal Museum – Núcleo de Alverca, the Manueline pillory in Largo João Mantas in the center of Alverca, the Church of São Pedro, the old Misericórdia and the Church of the Shepherds, which closes the second largest chime in Europe and the third largest in the world. Also noteworthy is the Jardim Álvaro Vidal, some views of the Tagus and Lezíria, rare in the Greater Lisbon area.
One of Alverca’s characteristics is its connection to the History of Portuguese Aviation, being considered as the birthplace of aviation in Portugal. There, in 1919, the military aerodrome and the General Aeronautical Material Workshops were installed. It was also in Alverca that the first Portuguese international airport, called Campo Internacional de Aterragem, operated, which served Lisbon until the opening of Portela Airport in 1940.